PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
at our new website at
Auction End Date
1/24/2006 10:51:30 AM (mm/dd/yyyy)
Handbook of the Jewish Communal Villages
in Palestine 1938
[Zionism - Only Ed. - Maps]
This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
Only edition. , 62,  pp., [2 photo, 1 foldout chart, 1 foldout map], 224:150 mm., usual age staining, nice margins. A very good copy bound in the original title wrappers.
Analysys of the kibbutz movement in 1938. The kibbutz, or kevuzah (plural: kibbutzim, kevuzot) is a voluntary collective community, mainly agricultural, in which there is no private wealth and which is responsible for all the needs of the members and their families. The kibbutz movement in Israel in 1969 numbered 93,000 people in 231 kibbutzim and kevuzot organized in several federations according to social, political, and religious outlook. The first kevuzah was founded in 1909 at Deganyah by a group of pioneers, who, after working at first as employees of the Palestine Land Development Company, undertook collective responsibility for the working of the farm. Another group, which started work at Kinneret in the same year, became an independent kevuzah in 1913. By 1914 there were 11 kevuzot established on Jewish National Fund land under the responsibility of the Zionist Organization, and the number grew to 29 by the end of 1918. The early kevuzot had small memberships based upon the idea that the community should be small enough to constitute a kind of enlarged family.
(Click thumbnail to view full size image)
Kind of Judaica