Aden had a medieval Jewish community of great importance for the history of Jewish letters. It reached its peak during the 12th century. There were business and family ties, as well as communal and religious relations between the Jews of Aden and practically all the Jewish communities of the Islamic empire. “Aden and India" formed one juridical diocese: the Jewish merchants and craftsmen of about twenty different ports of India and Ceylon were under the jurisdiction of the rabbinical court of Aden. In Yemen itself the authority of the court of Aden extended as far as Sa'da, the northernmost important Jewish community of the country.
The Jews of Aden were ardent collectors of books. R. Madmun b. David in his letter of July 1202 asked to have the medical treatises of Maimonides and other useful books sent to him; he specifically requested copies written on good paper and in a clear hand. The Jews of Aden were such avid bibliophiles that the Egyptian India traveler Halfon b. Nethanel went there for books that he could not get elsewhere. Many of the most important literary creations written in Hebrew, such as the poems of R. Judah Halevi and R. Moses ibn Ezra, have been preserved in manuscripts found in Yemen. The Midrash ha-Gadol of David Adani shows that he possessed an exceptionally rich, specialized library, containing works that have not yet been found in their entirety elsewhere.
A Hebrew printing house was founded in Aden in 1891 by Menahem 'Awwad and his four partners. Until 1925 some 15 books were printed at this press, The “Caxton Press," established in 1929, also published four Hebrew works. All the books printed in Aden are collections of prayers, religious law, etc.
כולל קכג פיוטים.
חלק מהפיוטים בערבית באותיות עבריות.
ההוצאה הראשונה: עדן תרנ"א. בהוצאה הנוכחית נוספו פיוטים רבים.