PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
at our new website at
Auction End Date
3/7/2006 12:28:00 PM (mm/dd/yyyy)
Order of Service at the Re-Consecration
of the St. John's Wood Synagogue
[Community - Only Ed.]
Williams, Lea & Co.
This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
Only edition. xii, , 7:7,  p. plus wrappers, quarto, 218:142 mm., light age staining. A very good copy bound as published.
A brief history of the synagogue, photos of its rabbis and main sanctuary, followed by the service. St. John's Wood Synagogue is a constituent member of the United Synagogue, a modern Orthodox community. The first Synagogue was a temporary iron structure. It was consecrated in 1876 on the site at the corner of Abbey Road and Marlborough Place. It accommodated 250 worshippers. The community grew so quickly that by March 1882 the foundation stone was laid for a permanent building at Abbey Road, which was ready for occupation the following July. Construction costs were £8,466! A few years later the building had to be extended to accommodate a growing community. In 1920 the Synagogue had to be underpinned due to major subsidence. At the same time the interior was extended with the Bimah moved to the front, adjacent to the Aron HaKodesh. Otherwise, the building remained substantially unchanged until the congregation moved to Grove End Road in 1964.
(Click thumbnail to view full size image)
Kind of Judaica