PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
at our new website at
Auction End Date
3/7/2006 1:04:49 PM (mm/dd/yyyy)
Kol Shir haShirim
קול שיר השירים
[Ms. - Liturgy] R. Raphael Barukh b. Abraham Amar
This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
 pp., 150:102 mm., light age staining, ink on paper, neat Italian script, bound in modern cloth over boards, signed and dated.
20 stanza song in honor of the Torah written for the Neve Shalom Association in Alessandria della Palia, Italy. The community was concentrated around the Vitale family, whose approval had to be obtained by all newcomers before they could settle there. Of the 230 Jews living in Alessandria in 1684, 170 were members of the Vitale family; in 1761, out of 60 households, 36 bore this name. The wealthier members of the community were engaged in the manufacture of textiles and silks; their mills gave employment to many Christians. General conditions remained unchanged when Alessandria passed to the House of Savoy in 1708. The administration of the community remained distinct from that of Piedmont Jewry. The ghetto was established in 1724. In 1761, the Jewish population amounted to 420 persons, the Vitale family having lost the right to approve the newcomers. From the 18th century, the rabbinate became an almost hereditary office held by the family of Levi (de) Veali. The Jews of Alessandria, with the rest of Italian Jewry, enjoyed temporary civic emancipation during the period of French influence in Italy in 1796–1814. Subsequently, there was a sharp reaction. In 1837, Alessandria Jewry was again restricted to the ghetto, although its gates were not renewed. At a wedding celebration in 1835, an overcrowded house in the area collapsed, killing 42 persons, including 17 Christian guests and R. Matassia b. Moses Zacut Levi de Veali. Although from 1848 the Jews of Alessandria enjoyed complete emancipation, many of them were attracted to the larger cities.
(Click thumbnail to view full size image)
Kind of Judaica