||Sermon delivered by Moritz Löwy, reformed rabbi in Temesvar at the time of legislation of importance to the Jewish community. The text is in German with Hebrew footnotes. Löwy’s style is eclectic, combining biblical references with those of modern German culture and history. Löwy was also the author of Drei Abhandlungen; 1. Ueber den Nothwendig-exis-tirenden.--2. Ueber den Modus des Hervorgehns der Dinge aus ihm.--3. Ueber die Schüpfung der Welt; zum ersten Mal . . ..
Temesvar is a city in the Banat, Transylvania, W. Rumania; between 1552 and 1716 it was an important center of the Turkish administration; subsequently within Hungary until 1918. The city comprises several quarters, whose individual development is still evident and affected the history of the local Jews who established separate communal organizations in them. The first Jews arrived in Timisoara before the Turkish conquest by the trade route between Turkey and Central Europe. At first they came temporarily, on business, but by the first half of the 16th century there were permanent Jewish settlers. The oldest tombstone in the Jewish cemetery dates from 1636 commemorating the "rabbi and surgeon" Azriel Asael. The beginnings of communal organization date from that era. When the Austrians captured the city from the Turks in 1716, the peace treaty included a provision permitting the Jews there to choose either to retreat with the Turks or to remain under the Austrians. Some chose to remain. There were then about 12 Turkish-Sephardi families. In 1736 R. Meir Amigo of Constantinople and four other Sephardi Jews were authorized to settle in the city. Amigo organized communal life and did much to help the Jews of Timisoara. As the economic situation of Timisoara began to improve, Jews were attracted to the city from other parts of Hungary and as far away as Austria and Moravia. They mainly engaged in commerce. When under direct Austrian rule, however, the situation of the Jews in Timisoara was more difficult than in any other part of Hungary. The Jewish legislation (Judenordnung) of 1776 for Jews in the Banat region placed in many restrictions on the Jews of Timisoara but their situation improved when the region was returned to Hungary in 1779.
Two synagogues, one Sephardi and one Ashkenazi, were built in 1762. The Sephardi congregation continued to exist independently until after World War II. A magnificent synagogue was erected for the main Ashkenazi congregation in 1862. However, from 1860, internal dissensions divided the community into factions, with the Reform rabbi, Moritz Löwy, at the head of the Neologist in the city, and the Orthodox rabbi, Jakob Singer, leading the other in what was known as the Citadel.