||This volume contains the second year's publication (155 issues) of Allgemeine Zeitung des Judenthums, which was published from 1837-1922. The "Allgemeine Zeitung des Judenthums" was the first successful paper to take part in the every-day life of the Jew, and in the course of its history it was instrumental in introducing many reforms and establishing several important societies and institutions. As it appeared at first three times and then regularly once a week, it was enabled to fulfill in part the duties of a newspaper also.
Bound with it is the first year's collection of Literarisches und homiletisches Beiblatt. At the very end of the volume, probably bound in by the publisher as an advertisement for his publications, are 5 leaves, each from different works. The first is from a Mahzor for the High Holidays, the second from a Mahzor for Yom Kippur, with Hebrew text on the back, the third from Conversations-Lexikon der Gegenwart (2 leaves), and the final two, on pink paper, from the annual report of Lebensversicherungs-Gesellschaft.
Ludwig Philippson was a Rabbi and author; born Dec. 28, 1811, at Dessau; died Dec. 29, 1889, at Bonn; son of Moses Philippson. He was educated at the gymnasium of Halle and at the University of Berlin, and maintained himself by tutoring and by doing literary work. He published his first effort, a translation of the prophets Hosea, Joel, Obadiah, and Nahum, when but fifteen years old. In 1830 he translated and annotated the works of two Judæo-Greek poets of Alexandria. A philological treatise on medical terms (Hyle Anthropine, 1831, etc.) that followed revealed his qualities as a scholar, and his versatility was emphasized by the publication in 1832 of a vindication of Spinoza.
When twenty-two years old he was called as preacher by the Jewish congregation of Magdeburg and remained in that city for twenty-eight years. In order to promote the interests of Judaism he founded the Allgemeine Zeitung des Judenthums in 1837 and edited that journal until his death. Two years later (1839) he began the annotated German translation of the Old Testament, which he completed in 1853. This translation, with a commentary in German, was issued in several editions, one being illustrated with designs by Gustave Doré. In 1847 he published "Die Entwickelung der Religiösen Idee im Judenthum, Christenthum und Islam," which was followed by "Die Religion der Gesellschaft," in 1848. Both of these works were translated into several languages.
Philippson's restless energy led him to enter the political arena, and in the stirring events of 1848 he took an active part. His political views he expressed in the following works: "Stimmen und Stimmungen aus der Zeit" (1849); "Resultate in der Weltgeschichte" (1860); and "Weltbewegende Fragen" (1868-69). He advocated moderate liberalism and became one of the leaders of the Social Reform party in Saxony. In 1855 he founded the Institut zur Förderung der Israelitischen Literatur, which during the eighteen years it existed published many interesting contributions to Jewish literature.
Between the years 1861 and 1865 Philippson issued his religious compendiums "Israelitische Religionslehre" and "Israelitisches Gebetbuch" (2d ed. 1864). In 1862, suffering from an affliction that had rendered him almost blind, he resigned his charge at Magdeburg and retired to Bonn. In 1866 he published, "Haben die Juden Wirklich Jesum Gekreuzigt?"
Philippson took part in municipal and educational affairs. He was elected to the city council of Magdeburg, and was president of the Saxon Teachers' Association. The number and character of the works he published show that he was a prolific and versatile writer. Among those not already mentioned above are: "Saron," a collection of poems (1843); "Sepphoris und Rom" (1866); "Jacob Tirado" (1867); "Gedenkbuch an den Deutsch-Französiche Krieg" (1871); "An den Strömen" (1872-73); the confirmation-gift "Rath des Heils" (1882); and a number of dramatic productions such as "Esterka," "Jojachin," and "Die Entthronten."