23:08:43


[Login]   
[Book List]  

PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
at our new website at www.virtualjudaica.com/
.

 
Bidding Information
Lot #    14997
Auction End Date    7/18/2006 10:37:30 AM (mm/dd/yyyy)
          
Title Information
Title (English)    Yom Kippur Schedule
Author    [Only Ed. - Community - Unrecorded]
City    Padua
Publisher    Tempio Israelitico di Padova
Publication Date    1911
          
Collection Information
Independent Item    This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
          
Description Information
Physical
Description
   Only edition. Flyer,230:150 mm., light age staning, creased on folds.
          
Detailed
Description
   Schedule for services for Yom Kippur for the Tempio Israelitico of Padua, issued, Per Accordi presi colla Spettable Direzione della Comunione, e coll. Ecc Rabbino Maggiore, question anno. Specific times are scheduled for the individual services on this the most holy of days in Judaism. Kol Nidre is at 17:30 (5:30 P. M.), morning services (Sciahrid) begin a t 7:15, Sefer (Torah reading) at exactly 10:00 followed by the sermon at 10:45, Prece Per I Defunti (Yizkor) at 11 and Mussaf at 11:15. Services resume with Minhah at 15:15 (3:15), concluding at 18:15 (6:15 P. M). Schedules such as these are very rarely retained after the scheduled event has occurred, so that this listing of services in the Padua Temple is a singularly uncommon piece of Italian-Jewish ephemera.

Padua is an old Jewish community, with mention of Jews as early as the twelfth century. There were three synagogues in Padua. One of German rite, which was opened in 1525, served also as a bet midrash for the whole community from 1682. In the same year the Ashkenazi synagogue, or Scuola grande was inaugurated. In 1892 the Scuola adopted the Italian rite. In 1943 the building was severely damaged by a bomb, and in 1960 its huge Ark was taken to the Yad Eliyahu Synagogue in Tel-Aviv. The third synagogue, of Sephardi rite, built in 1617 on the initiative of the influential Marini family, was closed down in 1892. in 1958 its ark was taken to Hechal Shelomo in Jerusalem. The synagogue of Italian rite, built in 1548 and completed later in the 16th century, closed down in 1892. It was reopened after World War II and in 1970 was the only synagogue in the city. After the war (1948) there were 269 Jews in Padua and their number had declined to 220 by 1970.

          
Reference
Description
   EJ
        
Associated Images
1 Image (Click thumbnail to view full size image):
  Order   Image   Caption
  1   Click to view full size  
  
  
Listing Classification
Period
20th Century:    Checked
  
Location
Italy:    Checked
  
Subject
History:    Checked
Liturgy:    Checked
  
Characteristic
First Editions:    Checked
Language:    Italian
  
Manuscript Type
  
Kind of Judaica
  
Posters:    Checked