PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
at our new website at
Auction End Date
1/23/2007 12:57:00 PM (mm/dd/yyyy)
The Song of Solomon
Wharton Esherick, Illus.
This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
Illustrated with 30 woodcuts by Wharton Esherick. Edition of 525 copies, bound with orange cloth spine and white boards embossed with colored designs by Esherick. Covers waterstained, some age staining.
Wharton Esherick, recognized as a key link between the pre-1916 Arts and Crafts Movement and the renewed interest in the crafts following the Second World War, is most widely known for his sculptures and non-traditional furniture designs from the late 1920s and 1930s onward. In his long and varied career, Esherick (1887-1970) joined the traditions of the decorative arts with those of the fine arts. He was also a noted printmaker and book illustrator whose work was published in popular magazines and in elegant limited editions and remains sought after by collectors to this day. Curiously enough, Esherick's woodcut work, produced almost entirely between 1922 and 1936, occurred in a period of great artistic transition for him, when he sought a medium in which he could evolve his own characteristic style. Formally trained in oil and watercolor painting, Esherick soon abandoned painting as he developed an identifiable style in his woodcuts. He also began to carve simple, woodcut-like designs on antique furniture, to experiment more freely and less academically with sculpture, and to design furniture to be ornamented with carvings. By the early 1930s, Esherick began receiving important design commissions and had a rising reputation. His Pennsylvania Hill House interior was exhibited at the New York World's Fair in 1940, and major exhibitions of his furniture and sculpture followed during the next decades. Esherick's studio, a building of his own design that evolved over a 40-year period, incorporates countless marks of its owner's personality; a larger woodworking shop, constructed in 1956 from plans by architect Louis I. Kahn, bears many of Esherick's distinctive design signatures.
(Click thumbnail to view full size image)
Kind of Judaica