||The origins of Temple Mizpah begin with an organizational meeting which was held on January 12, 1919 at Hotel Highlands in Chicago. "About 21 men and women attended and drew up resolutions embodying the purposes and ideals of the organization." The Constitution and by-laws were adopted on February 24, 1919 and officers were elected on March 24th. On April 8, 1919 the Temple was officially incorporated. R. Samuel S. Cohon was elected the spiritual head of the congregation on June 25, 1919.
The first of the booklets was published in conjunction with the "first annual reception and ball" which was held at the Hotel LaSalle on October18,1919. It contains a full-page portrait of the newly installed R. Cohon and the sermon which he delivered at the consecration service of the Temple on September 12, 1919.Following many,many pages of advertisements there is a calendar for 1919-1920,information about the infant roll, religious school, junior congregation, and the young people's congregation as well as a llisting of all the members of the congregation, and a portrait of the first president of the congregation.
The second booklet appeared a year later and contains "words of welcome to new members ", an article on Reform Judaism by R. Cohon (an abstract of two lectures delivered at the Temple),the President's Report on the first year of Temple Mizpah,a chronology, a listing of members, a calendar for 1920-21, etc.
The third booklet contains the Constitution and by-laws of Temple Mizpah as well as advertisements, a calendar for 1922-23, a listing of members and a listing of the elected officers.