||Formal large format receipt acknowledging a donation to the Jewish normal parochial school (delle Scuole Pie normali Ebraiche) from Sig. Aron Vivante. It is dated 28 Giugnp 1808. There are five signatures, from the Presidente delle Scuole Pie normali, three from Li Direttori delle Scuole Pie normali, and at the bottom per l’Universita Ebrea.
The delle Scuole Pie normali was just one of many institutions serving the Jewish community in the nineteenth century. With the growth of Trieste the center of the Jewish quarter changed to what is now the Piazza delle Scuole Ebraiche, where an Ashkenazic synagogue was erected. This edifice, together with all the ancient records, was destroyed in a conflagration, and was subsequently rebuilt. A new synagogue, with the German ritual, was erected about 1787 to meet the requirements of the rapid growth of the community. This building, a magnificent structure for its time, is still standing. The first floor is now used as a synagogue by the Jews who have immigrated to Trieste from Dalmatia and the East; they adopt the Sephardic ritual. A number of years later a synagogue was built especially for the Sephardim in a central part of the city on the site of an ancient cemetery in the Via del Monte, near the Talmud Torah (to which is annexed a Jewish public school) and the Jewish hospital. The oldest gravestones in this cemetery are between 140 and 150 years old, showing that the Jews must formerly have possessed another burial-place. A new cemetery, recently enlarged, was opened about seventy-five years ago on a site allotted by the municipal government at some distance from the city and in the vicinity of the other cemeteries. Trieste likewise has an orphan asylum, a convalescent home for aged invalids, and many charitable societies, the principal one being the wealthy Fraternità della Misericordia, while the Beneficenza Israelitica also disburses large sums of money.