||Bi-lingual German-Italian proclamation from the Austrian government in the name of the monarch granting additional rights to the Jews. The text is in two columns, the left German the right Italian. The German text states that Durch einen vorkommenden speziellen Fall haben sich Seine Majestat veranlasst gefunden, mit allerhichtser Entschliesung vom 16. May d. J. auzuordnen, das in Zukunst in sammtlichen osterreichschen Staaten das ApothekerGewerde nicht mehr unter den Juden zur Ausubung gestatten Gewerde gezahlt werde. It is issued in the name of Alphons Furst von Porcia, Landes Governeur and also has the name of Anton Dr. Henniker Gubernial = Rath.
Trieste was a commercial city and an important seaport, situated at the head of the Adriatic; ethnographically Italian, but at the time politically Austrian. The city was originally an insignificant town, and first gained importance after it placed itself under Austrian control in 1382. Even before that time, however, a small colony of Jews had settled there, and one of them, the city banker, was permitted to reside in the great square of the city. It appears, moreover, that certain banking establishments existed at Triest under the management of Jews from various parts of Italy, although the earliest Jewish inhabitants of the city seem to have been Germans, since the Ashkenazic ritual was adopted in the first synagogue. This building was situated in the most ancient portion of the ghetto at the head of the Via dei Capitelli, where the structure traditionally regarded as the synagogue was still in existence thirty years ago. Strictly speaking, however, it has been many years since there has been a ghetto at Trieste, as the Jews have always enjoyed exceptional favor there, being allowed to live in any part of the city and being exempt from wearing the Badge. With the growth of Trieste the center of the Jewish quarter changed to what is now the Piazza delle Scuole Ebraiche, where an Ashkenazic synagogue was erected. This edifice, together with all the ancient records, was destroyed in a conflagration, and was subsequently rebuilt. A new synagogue, with the German ritual, was erected about 1787 to meet the requirements of the rapid growth of the community. This building, a magnificent structure for its time, is still standing. The first floor is now used as a synagogue by the Jews who have immigrated to Triest from Dalmatia and the East; they adopt the Sephardic ritual. A number of years later a synagogue was built especially for the Sephardim in a central part of the city on the site of an ancient cemetery in the Via del Monte, near the Talmud Torah (to which is annexed a Jewish public school) and the Jewish hospital. The oldest gravestones in this cemetery are between 140 and 150 years old, showing that the Jews must formerly have possessed another burial-place. A new cemetery, recently enlarged, was opened about seventy-five years ago on a site allotted by the municipal government at some distance from the city and in the vicinity of the other cemeteries. Triest likewise has an orphan asylum, a convalescent home for aged invalids, and many charitable societies, the principal one being the wealthy Fraternità della Misericordia, while the Beneficenza Israelitica also disburses large sums of money. The community has recently acquired a site for a new temple, the plans for which are already in process of preparation.