20:25:44


[Login]   
[Book List]  

PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
at our new website at www.virtualjudaica.com/
.

 
Bidding Information
Lot #    19576
Auction End Date    1/8/2008 11:05:00 AM (mm/dd/yyyy)
          
Title Information
Title (English)    Oyfruf el aheinu bnai yisrael
Title (Hebrew)    אויפרוף אל אחינו בני ישראל!
Author    [Community - Only Ed.]
City    Szinna
Publisher    B. Tsondesman
Publication Date    1892
          
Collection Information
Independent Item    This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
          
Description Information
Physical
Description
   Single sheet of paper, 340:204 mm., light age staining, creased on folds.
          
Paragraph 1    An appeal for funds (in Judeo-German) from the comunity in Szinna to complete their synagogue. The appeal is signed by Baruch Leibovich and Avraham Hershkovitch on behallf of the Israelitisch Cultusgemeinde Zemplen-Szinna.

The request is certified by Shmuel Kreuss son of Dovid Feigeles.

          
Detailed
Description
   Zemplén (Hungarian: Zemplén, German: Semplin, Latin: Zemplinum) is the name of a historic administrative county of the Kingdom of Hungary. Its territory is presently situated in eastern Slovakia under the name of Zemplín. Most of the county's territory is today in Slovakia except the southern portions of the county are still in Hungary, in the county of Borsod-Abauj-ZemplenZemplén county shared borders with Poland (during some periods the Austrian crownland Galicia) and the Hungarian counties Sáros, Abaúj-Torna, Borsod, Szabolcs and Ung. It was situated in the easternmost strip of what is now Slovakia (except for the region between Vihorlatské vrchy and the Latorica river), plus a strip along the Bodrog and Tisza rivers in present-day Hungary. The rivers Laborec and Bodrog flowed through the county. Its area was 6,269 km² around 1910. Initially, the capital of the county was the Zemplín Castle, in the 13th century also Sárospatak (in Slovak: Potok, hence the alternative name of the county comitatus de Potok). Since the Late Middle Ages the capital was the town of Zemplén, and since 1748 was Sátoraljaújhely (Slovak: Nové Mesto pod Šiatrom).

Zemplén was one of the oldest counties of the Kingdom of Hungary. In 1918 (confirmed by the Treaty of Trianon 1920), the northern part of the county became part of newly formed Czechoslovakia. The southern half (including the bigger part of the divided Sátoraljaújhely) stayed in Hungary as the county Zemplén. One of its main cities is Szinna.

          
Associated Images
1 Image (Click thumbnail to view full size image):
  Order   Image   Caption
  1   Click to view full size  
  
  
Listing Classification
Period
19th Century:    Checked
  
Location
Other:    Hungary
  
Subject
History:    Checked
  
Characteristic
First Editions:    Checked
Language:    Judeo-German
  
Manuscript Type
  
Kind of Judaica
  
Posters:    Checked