PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
at our new website at
Auction End Date
4/1/2008 10:59:30 AM (mm/dd/yyyy)
Constitution ... Bratslower-Podolier Sick...
קאנסטיטושאן פון ... בראצלאווער פאדאליער
[Community] Bratslower-Podolier Sick Benevolent
Moinester Publishing Co.
This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
Revised edition. 56, , 46 pp. octavo 150:104 mm., light age staining. A very good copy bound in the original cloth boards.
Newly revised Bi-lingual Yiddish-English constitution of the Bratslower-Podolier Sick Benevolent Society, organized in 1914. Its purpose, according to this constitution, exists to aid its members in good standing, in cases of distress, sickness and death. The title page is followed by the names of the members of the constitution committee, of which the chairman is B. Kelmanson. There is a table of contents, which includes the name and purpose, meetings, business transactions, nominations and elections, officers and their duties, proposed candidates, duties of members, sick benefit, distress benefit, death benefit which includes reserved graves, consumption benefits including chronic diseases, suspension night, resigned and reinstated members, rules and regulations, concluding with loan relief fund. Within the text each of these articles is detailed in numbered paragraphs. The first paragraph of the first article states that the organizations name can never be changed. The Yiddish section, which reads from right to left includes the same information. The group carries the name of Bratslav, a small town in Podolia, Ukraine, on the River Bug. A Jew leased the collection of customs duties in Bratslav in 1506, and it appears that a Jewish settlement developed in the town from that time. In 1545 the Jews were exempted from the construction of roads "so that they could travel on their commercial affairs." The Jews underwent much suffering during the attacks of the Tatars on the town during the 16th century (especially in 1551). At the beginning of the 17th century, commercial relations were maintained between the Jews of Bratslav and those of Lvov. In the Councils of the Lands, Bratslav was attached to the "Land of Russia," of which Lvov was the principal community. In 1635, King Ladislas IV confirmed the rights of the Jews of Bratslav. At the time of the Chmielnicki massacres, a number of Jews from Bratslav were murdered in Nemirov and Tulchin, where they had taken refuge. However the community was reconstituted soon afterward. In 1664, when the Cossacks of the Dnieper invaded the land on the western side of the river, they massacred the Jews in Bratslav. At the beginning of the 19th century, Rabbi Nahman of Bratslav lived in the town for several years and it became an important hasidic center during this period. His disciple, Natan Steinherz set up a Hebrew press in the town in 1819 and published the works of his teacher. At the end of that year the authorities closed down the press after they had been approached by informers. The community numbered 101 according to the census of 1765 (195 including Jews in the surrounding areas) and 221 in 1790 (398 with those in the surrounding areas). After Bratslav's incorporation into Russia (1793), 96 Jewish merchants and 910 townsmen lived in the district in 1797. The Jewish population numbered 3,290 according to the census of 1897 (43% of the total population) and 1,840 in 1926 (23.5%). During the summer of 1919, about 220 Jews in Bratslav lost their lives in pogroms. As a result of the pogroms and the departure of many Jews for the larger towns, the number of Jews in Bratslav gradually decreased between the two world wars. The community was annihilated by the Nazis between July and September 1941. During 1942–43, a concentration camp for Jews from Ukraine, Bessarabia, and Bukovina was set up near Bratslav. The overwhelming majority were murdered by the Nazis. The community has not been rebuilt after the war.
(Click thumbnail to view full size image)
Kind of Judaica