||Title; Historical Record of the Withington Congregation of Spanish and Portuguese Jews 5664-5689, 1904-1929, by the Rev. Joseph Pererira-Mendoza, B.A. Minister of the Congregation.
The Manchester Jewish Community currently numbers about 35,000 - the second largest community in the United Kingdom, and dates from the 1780s. A Jewish cemetery had been acquired in 1794, almost certainly by Jews moving from neighboring Liverpool. Continental war and unrest saw several later immigrations, notably in the late 1840s, when the so-called "liberal" Jews arrived in the area, including the Hungarian soldier rabbi, Solomon Schiller-Szinessy, who became minister of a Reform synagogue in 1856. In the 1870s, North African Sephardi formed two communities in Manchester, one in Cheetham Hill and the other in West Didsbury; the former is now the Manchester Jewish Museum on Cheetham Hill Road.