PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
at our new website at
Auction End Date
6/15/2010 10:05:00 AM (mm/dd/yyyy)
Letter by R. Judah Leib Levin
ëúá îä'ø éäåãä ìéá ìòååéï
This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
 p., 211:137 mm., letter on stationary, light age staining, creased on folds, signed in ink, dated.
R. Judah Leib Levin, the son of a religious farmer, was born in Traby, Vilna Province, ca. 1862. He studied in Volozhin and Kovno and was ordained by R. Naphtali Zevi Yehudah Berlin [Netziv], R. Isaac Elhanan Spektor, R. Isaac Meir of Slobodka, R. Solomon Hacohen of Vilna and R. Isaac Blaser. He was appointed the rabbi of Liskiava, Suwalki Province, at the age of twenty-four and he immigrated to America five years later. He served as a rabbi in Rochester for one and a half years and then returned to Russia. He served as a rabbi in Krevo, but remained there only for half a year before coming back to America. After four years as a rabbi in New Haven's Congregation Bikur Cholim, in 1897 he was invited by three Orthodox synagogues of Detroit to serve as their rabbi. R. Levin remained there for the rest of his life and he helped support the needs of the community during a period when it was experiencing tremendous growth. He founded the United Orthodox Hebrew Congregations to strengthen his synagogues and he established schools, asylums and kashruth organizations. He was also a founder of Mizrahi and Agudath Harabbonim. R. Levin was an inventor by avocation and he secured patents for a calculating machine, a model of which was placed on permanent exhibit at the Smithsonian Institute. He died in 1926, leaving many unpublished manuscripts.
(Click thumbnail to view full size image)
Kind of Judaica