PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
at our new website at
Auction End Date
6/15/2010 10:31:00 AM (mm/dd/yyyy)
[Periodical] D. S. Erulkar, Ed.
This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
Volumes VI, Number 5 - VIII, 12, 240:164 mm., wide margins, usual age and damp staining, some minor worming, final 20 pp. foxed in margins. A good copy bound in contemporary boards.
Bi-monthly journal in English and Marathi. The foundation of a permanent Jewish settlement in Bombay was laid in the second half of the 18th century by the Bene Israel who gradually moved from their villages in the Konkan region to Bombay. Their first synagogue in Bombay was built (1796) on the initiative of S. E. Divekar. Cochin Jews strengthened the Bene Israel in their religious revival. The next largest wave of immigrants to Bombay consisted of Jewish merchants from Syria and Mesopotamia. Prominent was Suleiman ibn Yaqub or Solomon Jacob whose commercial activities from 1795 to 1833 are documented in the Bombay records. The Arabic-speaking Jewish colony in Bombay was increased by the influx of other "Arabian Jews" from Surat, who, in consequence of economic changes there, turned their eyes to India. A turning point in the history of the Jewish settlement in Bombay was reached with the arrival in 1833 of the Baghdad Jewish merchant, industrialist, and philanthropist, David Sassoon (1792–1864) who soon became a leading figure of the Jewish community. He and his house had a profound impact on Bombay as a whole as well as on all sectors of the Jewish community. Many of the educational, cultural, and civic institutions, as well as hospitals and synagogues in Bombay owe their existence to the munificence of the Sassoon family.
(Click thumbnail to view full size image)
Marathi, some English
Kind of Judaica