PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
at our new website at
Auction End Date
7/17/2012 2:04:30 PM (mm/dd/yyyy)
Die Neue Synagoge Essen Ruhr
[Only Ed.] Edmund Koerner
This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
Only edition. IV, frontispiece, , 104 pp., 310:225 mm., gloss paper, light age staining. A very good copy bound in the original wrappers.
Profusely illustrated catalog of the newly built synagogue in Essen, city in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. Jews are first mentioned there in the 13th century. During the Black Death (1349) they were expelled from the city, but subsequently allowed to return. Jews are mentioned in a list of taxpayers of 1399. Between 1545 and 1578 there were no Jews in Essen. The first municipal law concerning the trades open to Jews was passed in 1598. Jurisdiction over Essen Jewry was disputed between the monastery and the municipality during the period 1662 to 1686. Although there were only seven Jews living in Essen in 1652 and 13 in 1791, a synagogue was built there in 1683 and a cemetery consecrated in 1716. Several Jewish physicians were living in Essen in this period. With the city's expansion in the mid-19th century the number of Jews rose from 19 in 1805 to 750 in 1869. There were approximately 5,000 Jewish residents in 1930 and 4,500 (0.7% of the total population) in 1933. Jewish businesses were Aryanized and Jewish workers, no matter how prominent, were fired, including Benno Schmidt who invented stainless steel and was dismissed by Krupp and Company. The synagogue built in 1913 was desecrated by the Nazis in 1938.
(Click thumbnail to view full size image)
Kind of Judaica