PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
at our new website at
Auction End Date
10/8/2003 2:56:00 PM (mm/dd/yyyy)
Nederlandsche Israelitsche Hoofd-Synagoge
Hofsteede & Haagens
This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
57,  pp., quarto, 210:133 mm., interleaved, usual browning. A very good copy loose in the original cloth boards.
Regulations of the Nederlandsche Israelitsche Hoofd-Synagoge in Rotterdam. After first trying to attract Marranos from Antwerp in 1604, the city of Rotterdam issued a charter in 1610 which promised various privileges, including complete religious freedom. However, this charter was abolished by the municipality two years later and a large number of those "Portuguese" who had settled meanwhile left for Amsterdam. Nevertheless, a small group remained, opening a synagogue and buying a plot of land to serve as a cemetery. An important reinforcement to the community came in 1647, when the wealthy De Pinto family arrived in Rotterdam and returned to Judaism. That same year the municipality accorded the Jews the same rights as those obtained in Amsterdam. In Abraham de Pinto's house a synagogue and a yeshivah - the "Jesiba de los Pintos" - were opened; head of the yeshivah was Josiah Pardo, who also served as chief rabbi of the community (1648–69). In 1669 the yeshivah was transferred to Amsterdam. From then on it was the De la Penha family, mostly merchants and shipowners, who played the major role in the community.
(Click thumbnail to view full size image)
Kind of Judaica