22:12:48


[Login]   
[Book List]  

PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
at our new website at www.virtualjudaica.com/
.

 
Bidding Information
Lot #    7370
Auction End Date    6/8/2004 12:32:00 PM (mm/dd/yyyy)
          
Title Information
Title (English)    Commemorating the Dedication of a New Synagogue
Author    [Unrecorded]
City    Trieste (?)
Publication Date    1823?
          
Collection Information
Independent Item    This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
          
Description Information
Physical
Description
   Broadside, 408:255 mm., light age and damp staining.
          
Detailed
Description
   Attractive broadsheet (poster) issued to commemorate the dedication of a new synagogue. The text, in two columns, has a nine line header that begins Hanukkat ha-Bait, noting that it is the first synagogue to be built on its foundation on holy ground. It is dated in the month of Elul, the year being given in the chronogram [And he was afraid, and said, How awesome is this place!] this is no other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven " " " " """ " (Genesis 28:17). Taking the numerical values of the letters preceding the " gives a value of 583 or 1823. The line following the date honors the rabbi of the community, R. Abraham Eliezer Levi. Although the location is not given R. Levi served as rabbi of the Jewish community of Trieste, at the time part of Austria, only becoming part of Italy in 1919. This is further indicated by a reference within the text to Kaiser Franz, perhaps referring to Kaiser Franz Joseph, which would suggest a later date, as his reign began somewhat later. The synagogue in Trieste, assuming that is the location, was destroyed in a conflagration, together with all the ancient records, and was subsequently rebuilt. The new synagogue, with the German ritual, was erected about 1787 to meet the requirements of the rapid growth of the community. It has been described as a magnificent structure. A number of years later a second synagogue was built especially for the Sephardim in a central part of the city on the site of an ancient cemetery in the Via del Monte, near the Talmud Torah (to which is annexed a Jewish public school) and the Jewish hospital. The discrepancy in the date can be to a misreading of the above chronogram, due to a delay in the synagogues dedication, or the reference can be to the Sephardic synagogue, all assuming that the commemoration refers to Trieste.

The text is comprised of 14 stanzas in two columns in square letters. The stanzas, varying in length from four to six lines, are comprised of verses made up from biblical verses and combinations of phrases from verses. This poster is an attractive, rare, and apparently little known part of Italian Judaica, whether from Trieste or elsewhere in Italy.

          
Reference
Description
   JE; Not in CD-EPI
        
Associated Images
1 Image (Click thumbnail to view full size image):
  Order   Image   Caption
  1   Click to view full size  
  
  
Listing Classification
Period
19th Century:    Checked
  
Location
Italy:    Checked
  
Subject
History:    Checked
  
Characteristic
First Editions:    Checked
Language:    Hebrew
  
Manuscript Type
  
Kind of Judaica
  
Posters:    Checked