The Evelina de Rothschild Religious School for Girls, founded in 1857, is still active. It is the oldest girls' educational institute in Jerusalem. For a time it was run by the Anglo-Jewish Association of London. At present the school has between five to six hundred students ranging from seventh to twelfth grade. All of its students take matriculation tests and most of them go on to national service or the army.
Evelina de Rothschild was the daughter of Lord Lionel Rothschild. She married her cousin, Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild in 1865. In 1866, the Baroness gave birth to a son. Sadly, neither Evelina nor the baby survived. In her memory Baron Ferdinand built and largely supported the Evelina Hospital for Sick Children. Baron Lionel never entirely recovered from his daughter’s untimely death. His wife, Baroness Charlotte de Rothschild, established Evelina Prizes at all the Jewish elementary schools and at Jews’ College in memory of her daughter.